Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Pig's Feet and the Liberty Bell

Today was my first real day in Philadelphia, since yesterday was all about errands and a rental car. Here's what I did:

- Visited the Independence Hall visitors' center and was four people behind the very last person who got tickets for today's tour.
- Consoled myself with a Dunkin' Donuts 'coolada' Vanilla Bean. I was hoping this might relieve the sticky heat and be an east coast replacement for the Coffee Bean's vanilla Ice Blended. It is like someone put a gallon of artificial vanilla flavoring in a freezer, and then whipped up the frozen flavoring with a half cup of milk. Only that sounds good in comparison to what I sipped and discarded this afternoon.
- Saw the Liberty Bell. Dare I say it? I have to say it. It's not all it's cracked up to be (Hi, Roger, that was for you).
- Went to the Italian Market, an outdoor market lined with (shocker!) Italian specialty shops as well as some cheap seafood, meat, and produce stores. It's very cool, but I was so hot it was hard to really get into cheese sampling. I know that's a shock to those of you who know me well. But I barely bought anything and actually didn't taste every cheese in every shop I went into. There was a seafood vendor selling crabs sorted by size and then by sex, which, how do they know? They also had a lot of shops selling pigs feet, always advertising they were selling the 'front feet'. Is there something wrong with the back ones? Are pig feet eaters so particular?
- Met my friend out here for a drink and experienced the most awkward pickup of all time. The guy was out at a bar wearing athletic shorts, a Grateful Dead t-shirt, and a fanny pack. He overheard us mention LA and ran over and said, "I'm from San Francisco, I heard you say LA, if you're ever in SF you should call me I can show you a good time." He then wouldn't leave. So sorry, SF friends, I'll try to squeeze you in on my next visit but I'm a bit booked up.

I saw two funny signs at the Italian Market. Enjoy! School starts tomorrow, what should I wear?
















Including bar mitzvahs.







I'm with cheese too.
Try to read the tiny ad for their website on the bottom of the sign

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed so much on Juliedelphia! The wedding looked incredible, and the Italian market sounds great. Sounds like things are going pretty well so far, except for that whole no furniture thing. We miss you!!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to be a huge pigs feet snob (not really a snob, but I do like them), and the back ones are too tough because they do all of the work.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I had to hear about Juliedelphia from my mom (who raves about it, btw). Grrr.

In any case, I'm very excited that you already have found a husband (and such a plus that he's from SF). Since that was the whole point of business school, you can come home now, right? Please?

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home