Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Russian Hollow

Despite the recent violence (anyone who saw the story about the
panhandler who was shot, that started outside my building and ended a
block away), Russian Hollow is proving to be a delightful
neighborhood. The fact that it doesn't technically exist does not
detract from some of its wonderful features. Russian Hollow consists
of anything on Van Ness or directly adjacent to Van Ness between
Broadway and Lombard. And though it's technically the Russiarina, I
am adopting the north side of Lombard as part of my 'hood.

Some of its best features:

The Matterhorn Restaurant on Van Ness is delicious, and I can't thank
Matt and Trish enough for introducing me to it. Anywhere you can get
a plate of melted cheese and a plate of fried cheese (camembert, no
less) as appetizers to a meal consisting solely of cheese fondue is OK
with me.

Viking Subs on Lombard makes a phenomenal meatball sub, and a turkey
avocado sub which also makes me smile.

The Black Magic Voodoo Lounge is a for real dive bar, and they'll even
let me bring my sub from Viking (two doors down) into the bar to eat.

The Christmas Tree Lot (now gone) was the best thing about the walk to
Union Street. The Delancey Street organization maintains a lot there
every year, and it smelled and looked wonderful. As a bonus, now all
those disposed trees are on the street (new ones come out every day
and January is almost over!) and Satchel just loves them (and loves
marking them).

The Comfort Inn next door gives me free wifi.

Several sketchy corner store owners on Van Ness do not blink when I
bring Satchel in with me for my last minute shopping.

All this, and proximity to Fort Mason, several bus lines, and Polk and
Union street. If you lived in Russian Hollow, you'd be home by now!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR NICE POST SPIRITUAL YANTRA TANTRA MANTRA HATHA JODI SIDDHI NARAYAN KAVACH BLACK MAGIC KAVACH NARAYAN KAVACH PLEASE VISIT

http://www.dhyansanjivani.org/shopping/index.php

http://divyayogashop.com/

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home