Friday, August 31, 2007

Satch in the City

Two days into our San Francisco sojourn, I think it's safe to say that Satchel is adjusting better than I am. He is obsessed with digging on the orange shag rug in the living room, and although I do keep telling him to stop, I do have to laugh when I see the orange lint fly out from under him like dirt.

Letting him off leash in the non-enclosed dog parks of SF (anyone who says this city is dog-friendly has never lived in a dog-friendly city, by the way) has been a bit nerve wracking, but he's done extremely well. There seems to be a group of smaller dogs who congregate in the middle of the park, and today he had an all-out wrestling match for fifteen solid minutes with a 5 pound pekinese. I was worried that he might be too frou frou for my hipster neighborhood, but he has no shortage of admirers when we're walking around. In short, he's the king of San Francisco and doing quite well.

I, on the other hand, am feeling a little bit unsettled. My apartment resembles a motel, and not just cosmetically. The building has a large rectangular courtyard, like Melrose Place (as Satchel pointed out) but if the pool was a rectangle of dirt with wood chips. Last night, I was treated to some R-rated sound effects courtesy of a neighbor having a midnight romp. It was loud enough that I heard people hissing 'shhh' out their bedroom windows, and Satchel actually barked once. We moved into the living room and attempted to get some sleep out here. He was happier sleeping on his beloved shag carpet anyway.

It is also really hot here. My google weather gadget on my google homepage keeps insisting it's 70 here, and even says it's going to rain tonight, but a quick check of weather.com shows it's actually in the 80's. While I often complain of San Francisco's constant chilliness, I have to admit that this beautiful weather is not so fun in a non-air conditioned apartment. It is great to be able to stand outside in a tank top in shorts past 7 pm and not feel cold. I will be missing that in a month!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, "as Satchel pointed out"? Funny, because I pointed that out, too. Didn't realize Satchel and I were so in tune with our 90s television references.

2:40 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Actually, Sasha, I spoke with Satchel about this and he told me he was just being nice and decided it would be good for your ego if he let you think you came up with it first. Miss you juliedelphia.

Also, why when I try to leave a comment is there a "word verification" box with a handicapped logo next to it? Is it just me?

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home