Sunday, November 19, 2006

Day 3

I'm not going to lie, this has been very tough. But I have been astounded by how amazing everyone here has been and continues to be. And I thought that the below story would illustrate this and maybe be a little less down than my last post:

Just after I posted my last post, I was visited by my very drunk downstairs neighbor, who had just received the news via a phone call from another one of my friends. He was always great with Scully, and being my neighbor was the person who saw her the most. I first became aware I had a visitor when I heard fumbling outside my door. It appears he was trying to leave me a (largely incoherent) note, but in attempting to tape it to my door, he heard the TV and realized I was still awake and so he knocked. He then came in and hugged me on my couch and held me while I sobbed. He would not leave until I fell asleep, and made me swear to come down first thing in the morning so he could make me coffee and make sure I had breakfast. He also insisted on taking out the rest of the stuff in my apartment (some larger items, like the gates, were too big to take to Shirin's), and on waiting until I fell asleep to do so. Of course I am the world's lightest sleeper, so I faked a little shut-eye and got one of my first smiles in hearing him stumbling around my apartment and dropping the rather unwieldy and fairly heavy gate several times.

When I woke up the next morning, I had a note on my nightstand with strict instructions to come down for coffee, and a teddy bear outside my front door. But the best part came when I went to get my toiletries out of the duffel bag I hadn't touched since I dropped it next to my front door when I got home. It was gone. In his somewhat compromised judgment,he somehow deemed it to be part of the apartment purge and so took it downstairs to hide it in the basement of his apartment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Julie, I am so very, very sorry! I was so enamored of Scully via the blog that I can't imagine how hard it must be for you who knew and loved her so well. Know that I am thinking about you and sending you my love, Mary

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie-->I am really really sorry to hear about Scully. You'll be in my thoughts. Tim

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home